Tuesday 5 February 2013

Marianne Vos - Cyclo-cross World Championships 2013

I'm not normally a big fan of Cyclo-cross. Oh, I can appreciate it's blend of from-the-gun action and skill, and a good cross-mount is a thing of beauty, but it's always a time-killer for me, something to watch until the road season starts again.

Nevertheless, I felt I had to post this:


You'll need to fast forward to the 20 minute mark for the race start, but after that you'll get Marianne Vos winning the Cyclo-cross World Championship for the sixth time. Six times! That's on top of twice being Road World Champion, two World Track Championship gold medal in the points and the scratch race, and more World Cup and National Championships than anyone outside the UCI has time to count.

I've had the odd rant here about the absence of coverage for women's cycling, and I'm not going to repeat myself. Well, not today anyway. I just thought I'd stick up this video of Vos' commanding performance and let it speak for itself.

P.S. I lied, there is one other thing I wanted to mention. Louisville is, of course, home to the Louisville Lip, the Greatest of All Time himself. It's hard not to wonder if cycling will need to appropriate that title for Marianne Vos one day soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment