Thursday 21 March 2013

All In A Good Cause...

Check this lot out: http://www.25years25counties.co.uk/.

These guys are doing between 75 and 85 miles a day for a week with some hills thrown in, and they're a mix of day cyclists and beginners. Just short of a century every day for a week. That's tough for a serious club rider, inconceivable to a dedicated potterer like me, and insanely challenging for these guys. You've got to be pretty brave just to set out on something like that. When they finish, they're not going to be able to walk for a day or sit comfortably for a week. And they're doing it all for Leukaemia and Lymphoma research. That's worthy of a donation, surely?

The ride is being organised by Dan Exelby, who suffered from Leukaemia as teenager and is celebrating  25 years since being given the all clear. Every time I read about it, it's this line from his Mum (former Tomorrow's World presenter Judith Hann) that gets me:

"Despite all my contacts in science and medicine, at the time I could not find any families who had a success story to tell about a teenager with leukaemia."

I can't even imagine what it must feel like to be told that your child has Leukaemia,but to have to cope with that knowledge without being able to find anything to give you hope, not one surviving teenager to make you think that possibly everything would be ok, I don't know how you do that. Again, I think it probably just comes down to immense bravery.

So basically what I'm saying is that there's a bunch of guys who have gone tap-tap-curly-wurly and are doing something wacky-brave in memory of when a family had to be stoic-brave. Again, worth a donation, surely?

http://www.justgiving.com/25years25counties


No comments:

Post a Comment